Hi – Welcome to your new obession… I mean hobby!
I hope to put some advice here for new Scrapbookers and cardmakers. So if you have any questions at all please post a comment here on this page and i will endevour to answer it for you.
Beginner Series posts:
- Part 1 here – essentials – covers essential tools and tutorials/sketches for a layout and a card.
- Part 2 here – covers a basic layout and a card using essential basic tools and tutorials/sketches for a layout and a card.
- Part 3 here – embellishment making – how to make your own template of a flower and make it.
- Part 4 here – another embellishment – making your own feathers and template.
- Part 5 here– the awesome versatile heart punch.
- part 5b here – Heart punch round up – what others are doing with their heart punches.
- Part 6 – covers consumables
- Part 7 – covers making your own specialty papers
- Part 8 – an overview of craft or die cut machines
- Part 9 – covers different types of paper punches
Part 10 coming soon – covers how to make layouts and cards using a die cutting machine.
Finished doing everything in the Beginner series?
Email me with pictures to qualify for an exclusive digital certificate from me. Put “beginners series” in the subject line… godzoned2 at Hotmail dot com
http://www.Fiskateers.com/ – forum for fiskars tool nuts! They are always willing to help out. Don’t panic if you don’t have fiskars tools as you could win some by entering competitions.
You tube is always great for tutorials:
stamping one is – http://www.youtube.com/user/dawn5377
cardmaking one is – http://www.youtube.com/user/starofmay
scrapbooking one is – http://www.youtube.com/user/Debby2852
I think that is about it. Have fun and ask questions even if they are silly ones.
See below for other advice …..
Where do I shop?
- Warehouse Stationery – craft section – Northwood or Northlands shopping centers
- The Warehouse – craft section – Northwood or Northlands shopping centers
- Lincraft or Spotlight – Lincraft in Bush Inn shopping center – Spotlight in Sydemham the mall there. (The Stand?)
- Stampin Up! (party plan stamp/paper/embelishment/stamp pad and tool suppliers.)
- Scrap it simple – located in a home in Redwood area also available online – is primarily stocked with Kaiser Craft brand but has cuttle-bug stuff (inks ribbons, papers, stamps, off the page products and more!)
- Hands Ashford – located in Papanui, Normans road
- Montarga Stamps – located in Ferry Road, Fitzgerald end near an Iron Arts place.
- The Art Shed – Ferry Road, corner of Fitzgerald ave – for paints, canvas’ etc
Base tools/products needed:
Pen for journalism
12×12 plain papers/cardstock (cheaper than patterned stuff) – can be stamped to make your own patterned papers. And you can use the stamps later on for other projects too!
Basic stamps – flowers, swirls, birds, music notes —- words: “Thanks”, “Happy Birthday”, “Congratulations”
Tape runner adhesive (double sided tape)
Plain 180 gms or 160 gms cardstock for card bases (A4 cut in half to get two card bases)
Other things you may want later:
punches – punches out shapes
boarder punches – punches out cool decorative boarders on cardstock
alternative to boarder punches are decorative scissors
coloured pencils/chalks/pens/ water soluable pencils
Ink pads – black to start you off and colours later on. Make sure you get good ones for stamping not office ones. That can be refilled.
And of course Stamps – large swirls, flowers, background stamps are great for making your own patterned papers.
Tutorial for putting together a 3 photo layout. Click here
I have posted my first – hopefully I’ll do more – Tutorial of putting together a layout with one photo.
Here is a great video from you-tube to explain those measure marks on your trimmer….
Here is a link that may help you: Scrapbook Art – beginners Advice
And here is a video for you to watch:
3min 31sec long